Thursday, September 11, 2014

Minimum Wage Stuff

I was trying to figure out what the minimum wage was back when I moved up here. I worked a few minimum wage jobs back then and before. This Department of Labor web site shows it being less than I remember working for, but the DOL is listing federal minimum wage, not state. I'm thinking it was somewhere around $2.50 an hour. I suppose it could have been less?

Wikipedia has a whole bunch of info on minimum wage including a map that shows what states have minimum wages that are higher, equal to, or lower than the federal minimum wage. Some don't have a minimum wage.

4 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder how much McDonalds would pay if there was no minimum wage? Wonder how much they would need to offer to get reasonably competent employees?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. You have to wonder. If they don't offer enough they wouldn't get any applicants, or so I would think.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous A Guy said...

Worked 48 hours a week through the summer of 1974 to save-up for starting college that fall. Minimum wage: $1.65 an hour.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Worked 48 hours a week through the summer of 1974 to save-up for starting college that fall. Minimum wage: $1.65 an hour."

That rings a bell, but I thought that might have been before I moved up here in '73. I'll take your word for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home