Monday, September 15, 2014

The Most Hated Foods?

I was listening to the radio yesterday afternoon when the announcer brought up a supposed fact: The foods people hate most. He went on to quote a Men's Health article that claimed the number one most hated food was brussel sprouts, followed by broccoli and fish. WTF?

I was thinking he's either full of crap or the people that were polled are. Brussel sprouts are okay, although we probably have them in this house more than I care to. I love broccoli and fish. So what else was on the list? I did a quick search and found the article he was referring to. 

A big mistake from the beginning was he said foods "people hate". Not quite. The article specifies food children hate. There might be a substantial difference there, but I'll still take issue as even as a kid I like most of those foods. Here's the rest of the list:

#4- Turnips: Okay, I'm not a big fan of turnips but I've grown and eaten them from my own garden.

#5- Beets: I'll concede that one. I hate beets, although the wife likes them.

#6- Liver: Meh? I have enjoyed liver and onions from time to time, but not in some time.

#7- Spinach: Love spinach, but cooked, not raw as most people do in salads.

#8- Avocado: How could anyone not like avocados? I could live on avocados alone.

#9- Cottage Cheese: How could anyone not like cottage cheese? I've been buying quite a bit of it lately.

#10- Eggplant: It's ok in eggplant parmisan. I'm not particularly fond of it by itself.

Any of those your most hated foods?

I'm not sure what I'd name as my most hated foods. I'll keep beets on the list. Add okra and then maybe yams (sweet potatoes). Oh, and ham. I enjoy pork roasts and chops. I do not like canned ham. Oh, and corned beef. Yuck!

My favorites? Probably chicken thighs, preferably breaded, and fish, breaded as well but not a necessity. Too many other favorite foods to list but one thing I don't probably get enough of is pasta salad, so long as there's no okra included.

5 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Cranky Old Lady said...

I loathe liver. In any form. Have never cooked it and haven't been forced to eat it since I was nine.

Liver is just nasty... the body's sewer system.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Point well made. It is kinda disgusting when you think of eating something that processes body waste.

I was never all that fond of liver by itself, but a lady working at the long gone Cutten Supermarket recommended liver and onions to me many years ago. I tried it. Like it, and made it more than a few times after that. It's been decades since the last time.

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brussel sprouts are the worst hands down because people don't know how to prepare them. My wife saw them on a menu at a fine restaurant in DC and did a double take. The waiter also acknowledged it's a much maligned food. My wife loves them now.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corn dogs. An abomination of greasy mystery meat scraped off the slaughter-house floor surrounded by a thick layer of corn bread. Dip it in a mustard jar for taste camouflage and away you go.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll eat anything but goat cheese.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home