Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Free "Buzz" Cuts

There's a new, apprentice barber in town offering free "buzz cuts" according to Craigslist. This is that Barber Center on the corner of Grotto and E streets in Eureka. The place run by what I normally call the loneliest barber in town. Looks like he has some help now.

Seriously. Most barber shops I've seen have at least one customer waiting to be taking care of. Drive by this place and, nine times out of ten, he's sitting in the barber chair reading the paper. I've seen him playing with a laptop lately.

I've gone to him two or three times. He's ok, but nothing there that really makes me want to go back. I'm tempted to go get me a free buzz cut. Wouldn't bother me to have what little hair I have left buzzed off.

Correction: I blew it! The Barber Center isn't at Grotto and E Streets. It's on Henderson. Different places a couple blocks apart. It was the last comment that made me realize the mistake. No way the guy at Grotto and E could have been barbering for 25 years. He's too young.

4 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Joe Blow said...

A good decent haircut is No reason to go back? Business people in this town need customers like you, Fred, like they need a dose of hemorrhoids. I've been going to that guy for years; he's quick and efficient. You must really be hard up for something to post.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Hey! I'm helping the guy out with free publicity, or at least whoever the "apprentice" is.

Nope. Nothing exciting there, aside from my wife usually being the one who cuts my hair. I just don't plan on getting my hair cut there, unless I happen to drive by and he's sitting there doing nothing (which is often the case).

The Den Barbershop, down on 6h near F street, is long gone now, I believe. It was up back in the '70s and '80s. I used to enjoy going in to get my hair cut by Virgil if only because we had things in common and I enjoyed talking with him.

The E street guy isn't as bad as a barber I went to a couple times probably 35 years ago. One thing I noticed is he'd always get my sideburns crooked- one high and one low. But gift of gab wasn't his strong points, or maybe it was just me?

I didn't notice it the first time but second time I went in there the guy apparently didn't know anything to talk about but sports. So he starts off asking me what I thought about some baseball or football team. I was honest and told him I didn't follow sports at all and knew absolutely nothing about them.

That seemed to shake him up, literally. His voice got kinda shakey and I'd swear his hands were shaking a little. I really threw him out of his element with nothing for him to talk about. Never went back there again and he probably didn't want me back.

That guy up on E street is fast enough you don't really need to talk, although each time he's made sure to tell me how many cops are friends of his. BTW; noticed a For Sale sign above that building the other day.

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Facts said...

I have been going to The Barber Center for some 25 years now.

Jeff is a great guy, gives a very good haircut & is interesting to talk with. He operates by appointment and is breaking in a new employee.

I would recommend him to anybody.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Guess what? I had the wrong place. The Barber Center is on Henderson Street. The one I was thinking about is a block or two away on Grotto and E streets. My mistake. I've been to the Barber Center at least once years ago and was pleased.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home