Wednesday, February 03, 2016

A Quick Hotel Plug

We've been down at Stanford Medical Center the last few days. I thought I'd write about the place we stayed last night.

One thing about Stanford is they're very supportive of their patients, with social workers that seem to seek you out, see how you're doing and if there is anything they can do to help. We've been dealing with one that has found Connie a place to stay for free at least a couple nights. 

We got out of there late yesterday, as is the norm, and Connie didn't want to attempt to drive north at that time. The social worker got involved and found a place not too far from the hospital. Connie mentioned something, earlier on, about a place for $150.00 a night. That's  bit much for us but, once we were in the car driving, I figured I'd just have to go along and see where we ended up.

We ended up at the Marriot Residence Inn in Menlo Park and I'll have to say I was impressed. Now I know how the other half lives. The place was immaculate, with rooms so clean you could eat off the floor. Huge bathrooms, at least the one we stayed in, with a shower probably 5'x8' with see through sides on it. 

Not only that but we saw a sign in the lobby telling they had some free meal thing starting at 7pm or so. We went down for that and got our fill- better than going to the restaurant around the corner and paying who knows how much to eat.

They also had a great free breakfast with eggs, toast and pretty much everything else you could ask for. Earlier on I wrote here how that Holiday Inn Express in Atascadero got my vote for best breakfast room I'd been to. This place steals that title. Really nice.

They also have free wifi and hard wired DSL. I had a data cable and was glad to have the hard wire option. Worked nice the first night but next morning I couldn't seem to connect so had to use wifi.

Among other perks, the kitchens all have a couple stove burners and they say they'll even fill your shopping list for you and deliver it to your room's refrigerator. Pretty impressive.

Will we stay there again? Only if Stanford pays for it as they apparently did this time. I see from their web site rates are over $300 a night. That's too much for us, but I enjoyed the one night we did stay. You folks better off than us should give it a try when you're down there.

4 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like just yesterday when rooms at Motel 6 were $6.00/night and $8.00/night at the more upscale Super 8. (And Dollar Rent-a-car was called Dollar a Day Car Rental because it was.)

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Hope everything is going well for you, Fred.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

things are going well enough, thanx. Been through four rounds of chemo with no ill effects, at least so far.

Kinda worthless once I get out of the hospital, at least for a few days. I spend days down there in bed. Very weak on my feet once I get back here.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my greatest sympathies. Just finished my 9th round of chemo at Palo Alto Medical Foundation in Sunnyvale. Luckily we have family to stay with as motels start at 200 and we are always there at least 3 nights. This was after 15 rounds of chemo with radiation in Eureka last year. Cancer is a bitch and it's still going to win in the end. Good luck I feel your pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home