Thursday, April 14, 2016

Eureka's Homeless Problem Solved?

Nope. Not solved, so long as we're providing  a place for the homeless to stay. Still, it is a relief to see at least temporary shelters being provided in a location that's not much better or worse than behind the Bayshore Mall. Remember that the homeless will still be out and about in the same area as they were before, and that's probably most people's complaint: the presence of homeless on the streets. They'll still be there. The Lost Coast Outpost looks at the plan.

But at least there won't be any more panhandling, as the Times- Standard reports. Eureka has modified its panhandling ordinance to make it more effective. We'll see how that works, but I'm not so sure I care if it does. I've wrote here before people have a human right to ask for help, which is what panhandling is. I write that as one who gets hit up by panhandlers fairly often. It's annoying, but shouldn't be a crime. You also have the human right to refuse that help.

6 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe a kibbutz type situation with counseling for those with mental distress would be a solution for homeless.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

In the 23 years since i moved back in 1993 I have been approached by a panhandler exactly twice.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

They often seem to pick me out of the crowd. I remember years ago, back when Clam Beach had its encampment, I drove into the Shell station at 5th and M(?) in Eureka. A bum was standing over on the walkway in front of the mini mart eying everyone that stopped for gas. He was holding that clever prop of an empty water bottle.

He looks at me and immediately heads my way. I'm wondering why ME? Then he says he needs money for gas pointing to his gallon jug as proof of his need.

just a couple weeks ago I was approached by a lady in the Henderson Center Rite Aid parking lot and saw something I'd never seen before;

She's maybe 15 feet from me and asks if I have 25 cents. Clever, I thought, as that suggests a specific need as opposed to just asking for spare change that might be used for anything. Some guy is walking about ten feet away from her on the other side of me. He loudly says, "I do", walks over and gives the gal a quarter.

Never saw someone volunteer to give a bum change until then, and she wasn't even looking at him.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe Julie could give you some pointers, Fred !

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most I've seen, have been quiet people with signs and lots of desperate hope.
Years ago, there were aggressive auto window washers at the malls exit. They were working for their change, which was great, but they were aggressively forcing their employment onto others, it seemed. However, even when told that they would not receive a dime because we were flat broke, they would still wash the window and wish us a nice day. Poor souls didn't know the difference between assertive and aggression. It wasn't long before there was an ordinance against them. I hope they received counseling, training, and the help they needed to put their strong energy to good use in more acceptable ways to the public, but somehow I doubt it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home